Thursday 28 October 2010

Case Study

Met up with a journalist today and conducted an interview with him. I know him personally, though hadn’t seen him in ages and I don’t actually know much about his work. I thought it would be interesting to speak to him before I spoke to the photographer so as I could attempt to understand the relationship between the journalist and photographer. It was a really informative session and I learnt a lot from him. He gave me background information on the changes in both journalism and photojournalism, as witnessed by his many years in the business and as his outlook was not from the point of view of the photographer, it was less biased. I know that he has worked as a journalist for a long time and like photographers in the media, journalists have also been affected by changes in technology, culture and working conditions.

He works as the editor for a local publication based in Salford. Though it used to be available in print format, it is now web based but definitely worth a look. He has also said that I am welcome to take photos for some of the events covered by the journal so I will bear that in mind for sure. Here is the link below:


I am speaking to the photographer tomorrow and know that he is freelance and is also a partner in a photography studio. I am also aware that he has not been in the business for years as the journalist mentioned above has, and might not be suitable for the case study. I will speak to him first and check it out, but I have been in contact with his Picture Editor who is also a photographer and has worked in the media for many years. He has said that he will be happy to answer any questions I have so that is definitely an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment