Sunday 7 November 2010

Studio lighting practice


Last week I worked in the studio as an assistant to Chris, a fellow student. He will be helping me with a studio-based project of mine in a few weeks so thought I would reciprocate the favour and get a bit of experience in at the same time. It is good to work as a team anyway as you can bounce ideas off each other as well as helping with the more practical things like meter reading and changing the lights.

He was photographing an agency model using different background settings and several costume changes. First we used the infinity curve as the background and lit this with a snoot. We also used a beauty dish on the model herself. Once Chris had photographed the model in a couple of different outfits using the infinity curve, he moved her to the other side and used the grey background.

It was definitely a useful exercise but I think I will learn more when I do my own setup. We were there purely as assistants and though it is useful when setting up the lights and getting a general gist of things, there is nothing like designing the setup yourself to help you understand how it works. I am sure that before long it will become second nature to me. 

Here are some of the photos that I took on the shoot plus a video.










When I do my shoot, I want to use the setup that we did in a previous workshop in order to eliminate shadows and achieve a nice crisp edge round the subject. I know that the difference has to be one and a half stops between subject and background in order to achieve this and I also documented the workshop using a small camera, rather than lots of notes, so I have a visual record of the setup. 




No comments:

Post a Comment